1. Turn your phone 180 degrees so you are shooting in landscape to ensure your film fills the screen when you watch it on your TV screen.
2. Interview your children – asking them questions adds context to your film and captures their voices and mannerisms on camera for posterity.
3. Cut out background noise if possible – switching off the washing machine, hoover, radio and so on makes it easier to edit later on.
4. Shoot little and often – keep your phone charged and to hand.
5. Back up your photos and films regularly. Setting up automatic uploads to the Cloud means you never risk losing precious memories and you can free up space on your phone.